Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter
DEFCON 1 newsletter for January 23, 2019
Issue # 587
This edition of DEFCON 1 comes to you from Springfield, Virginia.
*** Welcome to the latest edition of the number one Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter, “DEFCON-1,” a networking newsletter featuring job opportunities and career advice for those who are part of the global defense, aerospace, maritime, marine technology and security industry.
DEFCON 1 brings you job opportunities every week, and counts on members like you to submit job listings to share and post in this newsletter.
*** Sign up for regular free delivery of this newsletter through Google Groups by sending an email to Ned at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*** When you learn about a job opportunity in the defense sector, such as a position that comes open with your company, you send me the title, organization, location, and a brief description; link; or contact information, and I’ll share. This is a cooperative network. That means everyone’s participation is required to provide job opportunities to share.
*** Ned’s upcoming travel, maybe, perhaps:
Jan 29-31 London, UK
Mar 5-7 Galveston, Texas
Mar 30-April 3 Dubai, UAE
April 9-11 Lowell, Mass.
April 19-25 Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
April 29-30 Abu Dhabi, UAE
June 25-26 Lagos, Nigeria
Sept 4-6 Copenhagen, Denmark
Nov 25-27 Kuwait City, Kuwait
*** 7th Annual Maritime Security East
March 5-7, 2019
*** Trident Juncture Stresses Collective Defense of NATO Alliance
“This is what ‘right’ looks like.”
BY EDWARD H. LUNDQUIST
Defense Media Network
*** Here are your DEFCON 1 jobs for this week:
*** From Dave Albritton:
Happy New Year! I hope all is well and that you had a wonderful holiday.
I wanted to share the following job description for a new position I’m creating on my team within General Motors Defense – Business Planner.
The position will report to me and also support 3-4 other executives in our Washington, DC headquarters. Although there are traditional administrative duties assigned to this position, the person will also be engaged and closely aligned with my leadership team and will have business responsibilities well beyond, depending on their individual capabilities, experience and background.
Experience in the aerospace and defense industry (especially with trade shows) is a major plus.
Thank you in advance for sharing within the JOTW network.
David J. Albritton
General Motors Defense LLC
1.) Business Planner, General Motors Defense LLC, Washington, DC
This position will provide administrative support to multiple executives. Work includes various tasks such as travel arrangements, scheduling meetings and general support of extended staff. Position requires a high degree of accuracy and coordination.
• Organize and streamline executives’ time by assuming administrative details
• Coordinate a system for managing office routine
• Expedite handling of correspondence, global mail requests and phone calls
• Maintain regular contact with others outside the work group
• Complete various assignments as requested with minimal supervision
• Plan, prepare and develop various strategic leadership presentations (PowerPoint, etc.)
• Maintain records, confidential files and GM specific reports
• Schedule complex meetings and maintain multiple calendars
• Respond to requests for meeting availability
• Improve efficiencies of day to day tasks where possible
• Make domestic and international travel arrangements, including any visas, passports, etc.
• Obtain travel approvals
• Prepare and process expense reports
• Maintain and order supplies, business cards, etc using corporate A-Card
• Schedule departmental Record of Invention Reviews, collect presentations, prepare and distribute agendas
• Submit facility related requests
• Make sure the VP is prepared with the best available information to represent GM Defense at decision forums
• Drive alignment/communication within the staff on key issues
• Lead and coordinate internal and external planning activities, including staff meetings
• Collect and consolidate global metrics for GM Defense
• Ability to step into special leadership assignments as people and/or process leader
• Manage communications and information dissemination
• Coordinate business continuity planning cycle yearly
Knowledge / Experience:
• Understanding workflow processes
• Process development and implementation planning and execution
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully and effectively across large organizations
• Project planning management
• Creating quality executive-level presentations
Skills / Competencies:
• Ability to work with ambiguity while anticipating the top priorities and manage to the most critical without minimizing other initiatives
• High learning agility and ability to learn on the fly
• Strong skills in leadership, negotiating, leading multiple process teams
• Excellent writing and interpersonal communication skills are mandatory
• Strong critical thinking skills are required
• Managerial courage and ability to stand alone
• Organizational agility
• Demonstrated ability to build positive relationships cross functionally, lead without authority and under pressure to achieve results
BS in Business Administration or technical field
Master’s Degree (MBA) Preferred
5-7 years experience in business environment
To apply, visit this link. Please do not contact the hiring manager directly.
*** From Tim Ford:
2.) Managing Editor/Military-focused Journalist, defense-focused nonprofit managed by Leonard Resource Group (LRG), Washington, DC
A well-regarded, defense-focused nonprofit managed by Leonard Resource Group (LRG) seeks a skilled managing editor to oversee a daily publication, and conduct day to day content development and management duties. Managing the process from development to distribution, with an eye on producing high-quality content, this DC-based individual will develop and execute editorial plans, write and edit articles, and manage content distribution via website and social media. The ideal candidate is an individual who can grow established brands, while advancing new ideas that will enhance the services the nonprofit client provides. The ability to work independently, stay organized and remain flexible with a dynamic small team environment is essential. This job requires strong writing/editing skills, combined with practical focus on operations. Understanding and background in military issues is paramount and background in journalism is desired.
• Minimum 3+ years’ experience serving as a managing editor or similar role
• Independent, self-starter and willing to take on other responsibilities as needed
• Outstanding copywriting and editing skills
• Working knowledge and comfort with online content-management and social media platforms
• Excellent organizational skills
• Strong inter-personal communication skills
• Deadline oriented with ability to manage daily writing deadlines
• Attention to detail
• BS/BA in journalism or relevant field
• Military knowledge, experience and/or background
Work for LRG, a boutique communications and management consultancy based in Washington D.C. and Seattle. LRG engages people and communities to advance organizations whose work improves the lives of individuals and strengthens the communities they call home. We bring people together around new ideas and shared goals and craft inventive, thought-provoking messages delivered through words, images and sound.
Send cover letter, resume and two writing samples to email@example.com.
3.) Outside Machinist III, Epsilon Systems Inc., Portsmouth, VA
4.) Administrative Support Specialist III, , Cydecor, Inc., Crane, IN
5.) PMS 415 Engineer III, Cydecor, Inc., Washington, DC
6.) Excercise Support Lead, Cydecor, Inc., Little Creek, VA
7.) Communications & Branding Specialist, Aircraft Modernization and Modification (AMM) Airborne Surveillance Command & Control portfolio, BOEING, Oklahoma City, OK
8.) Production Engineer, Entry to Mid Level, Progeny, Manassas, VA
9.) Sonar/Combat Systems Engineer, In-Depth Engineering Corporation, Columbia, MD
10.) Systems Administrator, CACI, Buckley Air Force Base, CO
11.) Cyber Security Engineer – Firewall, CACI, Scott Air Force Base, IL
12.) Systems Administrator – HI – TS/SCI Poly, CACI, Wahiawa, HI
13.) Project Manager – TS/SCI – Hawaii, General Dynamics Information Technology, Pearl Harbor, HI
14.) Intelligence Analyst – Nuclear Command, Control and Communications (NC3) Analyst, Leidos, Washington, DC
15.) Technical Writer, Saalex Solutions Inc., Keyport, WA
16.) Engineering Technician II 2, Saalex Solutions Inc., Ridgecrest, CA
17.) Business Development Analyst, LOCKHEED MARTIN CORPORATION, Marion, MA
18.) Aerospace & Defense Sensors & Radar Industry Manager, MathWorks, Natick, MA
19.) Quality Assurance Engineer, Ultra Electronics Ocean Systems, Wake Forest, NC
20.) Program Manager, Ultra Electronics Ocean Systems, Braintree, MA 02184
This newsletter is published by:
Edward H. Lundquist, ABC, IABC Fellow
Captain, U.S. Navy (Retired)
7813 Richfield Road
Springfield, VA 22153
+1 703 455-7661
Defense Career Opportunities Newsletter is part of the “Job of the Week” network – A world in communication.
For your hospitality, thank you!
© Copyright 2019 Job of the Week Network, LLC